The Tampa Museum of Art invites applications and nominations for the Richard E. Perry Curator of Greek and Roman Art. Home to one of the finest collections of classical antiquities in the southeastern United States, the Tampa Museum of Art has developed a reputation for the strength of its exhibitions, publications, and related programming. With this appointment, the Museum intends to build upon this tradition. This is a full-time permanent position.
ROLE and RESPONSIBILITIES
The Richard E. Perry Curator of Greek and Roman Art will report to the Executive Director. S/he will be a vital member of curatorial team, working closely with the Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art as well as the Exhibitions and Collections Manager, the Exhibition Designer/Chief Preparator, the Curatorial Department Assistant, and two Museum Operations Assistants.
This role requires strong written and verbal communication skills, precise attention to detail, and the ability to communicate scholarly information to diverse audiences. The ideal candidate will work well both independently and as a collaborative and diplomatic team member. S/he should be highly motivated with a positive attitude, entrepreneurial bent and an active member of the Tampa Bay art community. Primary responsibilities will relate to both the permanent collection and special exhibitions, including (but not limited to) the following:
• Oversee care, display, interpretation, and promotion of classical artworks and artifacts;
• Develop a strategy for the rotation of antiquities exhibitions
• Pursue and disseminate collections- and exhibition-related research, through gallery talks, public lectures, and a range of publications (general and scholarly, internal and external);
• Assist with the development of the permanent collection through gifts and purchases;
• Work with curators at other museums as well as private collectors to augment permanent collection exhibitions with loans;
• Together with the Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art, oversee care, display, interpretation, and promotion of classically inspired modern and contemporary works, particularly Prints and Early Photographs, and C. Paul Jennewein Collection.
• Identify traveling exhibitions from other institutions for presentation at the museum;
• Serve as the coordinating curator for selected traveling exhibitions;
• Develop, coordinate, and execute special exhibitions—both at the museum and to travel to other institutions—inspired by and inclusive of the permanent collection;
• Together with the Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art, continue the recently established Conversations with the Collection exhibition series, working with contemporary artists to explore synergy between ancient and contemporary art.
• Collaborate with Executive Director and Curatorial and Development colleagues on cultivation for donations to and solicitation of funds for permanent collection acquisitions and exhibition programming;
• Collaborate with Education department colleagues to plan and develop effective educational programming and materials related to exhibitions and collections, including among other programs multiple Antiquities Circle lectures each year;
• Develop collaborative relationships with other museum curators in order to share collections and exhibitions, as well as expertise and best practices.
• Minimum four years fulltime experience in an art museum, preferably in curatorial role
• PhD in art history with a focus on ancient art preferred, with some knowledge of related modern and contemporary fields;
• Research interest and publication history in at least one sub-field of classical art
• Demonstrated experience in cultivation of individual donors and support/affinity groups
• Proficiency in MS Office and collection database applications required
Qualified applicants should send CV/resume and cover letter including reasons for interest in the position and summary of relevant experience to EA@tampamuseum.org. Indicate the job title "Perry Curator" in the subject line. Only those applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.